As of 2021, only four North Carolina jurisdictions have an active red light camera program: Fayetteville, Greenville, Wilmington and Raleigh. At one point, as many as 11 cities instituted automated enforcement programs that were terminated due to public pressure or local ordinance.
Fayetteville’s red light camera program was created in 2014 by the Joint City of Fayetteville and Cumberland County Liaison Committee. The first cameras were installed in 2015, and to date, there are 14 active cameras. The cameras are operated by Verra Mobility, an Arizona-based transportation company.
How much is a red light ticket?
According to North Carolina law, cities can charge a $50 civil penalty. If the citizen doesn’t pay, the penalty can be bumped up to $100 per violation. $50 for the initial ticket and another $50 for the late fee.
How does a Fayetteville Red light ticket work?
The city of Fayetteville website explains the breakdown of their fees, including their blatant violation of state legislation. They explain the base fee for a red light ticket costs the offender $100 and is bumped to $200 when not paid on time. This is double the state-mandated base fee of $50 and cap of $100 per citation.
Who benefits from red light ticket proceeds?
North Carolina law stipulates that 90% of fees from automated traffic monitoring systems (including red light cameras) must be returned to the government. Specifically, that revenue should go to the local school system.
Fayetteville has not been following these guidelines. Only 65% of ticket fees are going to the Cumberland County School System, and the other 35% is pocketed by Verra Mobility.
Between 2015 and October 2021, the cameras issued more than 167,000 tickets. The city of Fayetteville website reports that most infractions occur on Fridays between 4 and 5 pm.
The city’s Traffic Services department claims “the purpose of this program is to increase traffic safety in the city by reducing red-light running violations, collisions and injuries”. Local government also cites the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data indicating millions of Americans are injured each year in traffic crashes. However, no evidence is provided that red light camera ticketing programs do anything to reduce that number.
A February 2020 report by the NHTSA reported crashes were the same after cameras were installed. However, other data from the city’s records show crashes at the surveilled intersections have not only remained steady, but also increased.
Another report shows in the first two years of the program’s enforcement, there was a 5.8% uptick in total crashes compared with the two years before. The data takes an in depth look at the different kinds of crashes and rates each on a “severity” index. According to analysts, the average severity has jumped over 15% in that same period.
The above graphic shows the average increase of rear end, angle and total collisions.
This seems to be a way for the city of Fayetteville to make more money off the unsuspecting citizens who are unaware of these violations of North Carolina law. Fayetteville’s handling of these red light tickets is being actively investigated, and if you or a loved one have been the victim of these illegal civil penalties after receiving a red light ticket from the city of Fayetteville, please contact us today.
Below, you can see a break down of these citations by location. These are the most recent available data, and we will update this information accordingly when possible.
Tickets By Location
(August 2015 – October 2021)
|Location||Number of Citations|
|NORTHBOUND RAMSEY ST @ LAW RD||10,527|
|NORTHBOUND REILLY RD @ KIMRIDGE RD||12,433|
|SOUTHBOUND REILLY RD @ KIMRIDGE RD||7,093|
|SOUTHBOUND SKIBO RD @ MORGANTON RD||15,583|
|NORTHBOUND REILLY RD @ MORGANTON RD||7,813|
|NORTHBOUND SKIBO RD @ YADKIN RD||4,264|
|SOUTHBOUND SKIBO RD @ YADKIN RD||14,031|
|NORTHBOUND YADKIN RD @ SANTE FE DR||8,487|
|EASTBOUND RAEFORD RD @ BUNCE RD||15,107|
|NORTHBOUND BRAGG BLVD @ CAIN RD||15,325|
|WESTBOUND GROVE ST @ RAMSEY ST||11,318|
|WESTBOUND RAEFORD RD @HOPE MILLS RD (Deactivated)||816|
|EASTBOUND GROVE ST @ B ST||27,187|
|NORTHBOUND OWEN DR @ VILLAGE DR||8,657|
|NORTHBOUND SKIBO RD @ RIDTIP RD||8,709|